By Lyss Hollywood
Whether you’re a pro makeup artist or a novice at makeup, we all have one thing in common. We want gorgeous, flawless skin that looks radiant and healthy. However, sometimes applying foundation and concealer can feel as complicated as doing rocket science. But no fear, my dears, I’ve compiled a list of Do’s and Don’ts for you that will simplify your morning battle with your base.
- DON’T apply foundation directly to freshly cleaned skin.
- DON’T make the mistake that many of us do by applying too much foundation. It’s best to start with a small amount blending from the center of the face outwards. If you find you need more coverage add more but be sure to use small amounts at a time until your desired coverage is reached. This will ensure that your makeup looks flawless and natural, not heavy and cakey.
- DON’T leave the house without sun protection! Always be sure to look for skincare and makeup with adequate sun protection. Most moisturizers, primers, and foundations now have sunscreen in them. (Try our new MVP Perfect + Protect with SPF 25)
DON’T over color correct your skin. A color correcting concealer can be useful, but it’s very easy to go overboard with the concealer. Use very small amount of color corrector and blend using your fingers (the warmth of the skin helps with blending). Be sure to do this before foundation and use a small amount of translucent powder on top to ensure it doesn’t mix with your foundation color.
- Use a green tone to cancel out redness
- Use an orange tone to cancel out blue tones and hyperpigmentation
- Use a yellow tone to conceal any purple tones
- Use a purple tone to remove yellow undertones
- DO be sure to properly prep your skin before makeup.
- I recommend: washing your face in the morning to freshen up and remove excess oils from the skin. Then tone the skin to tighten and give the appearance of smoother skin. Smoother skin = smoother application! Lastly, apply a moisturizer to hydrate your skin for even application. I personally prefer to use an oil on my skin since oil cuts oil and I have oily skin, try an organic Marula or Kalahari oil. If you have dry or combo skin, an oil will work for you too, I know it sounds a little scary to put oil on the face but give it a try. Remember, great skincare makes for great skin which makes foundation application easy and flawless.
- DO blend foundation using a brush or a makeup sponge. If using a brush, blend in circular buffing motions on the skin. If using a sponge, bounce to blend into skin. You can also use your fingers for a more natural coverage BUT be sure to wash your hands before doing so.
- DO use concealer that is close to or a shade lighter than your foundation color. This will act as a highlight and bring light to the areas you apply it to. Use a shade close to your skin tone to conceal any blemishes or dark undereye circles. Beauty For Real’s new MVP Perfect + Protect has a great full coverage concealer hidden right in the cap of the tinted moisturizer.
- DO be sure to ALWAYS wash your makeup off at night, this is imperative to the health of your skin. I personally like to start by taking a small amount of coconut oil and rubbing it all over my face to begin to breakup my makeup. When doing this, I concentrate on the eye area for a while, ensuring all signs of eye makeup are melted. I then remove the melted mess using a makeup remover wipe and finish by using my nighttime cleanser to be sure my skin is completely free of makeup.
- DO find a foundation that matches your skintone closely and is the amount of coverage you need.
DO prime the skin with a primer appropriate for your skin type.
- Primer is important for a couple of reasons:
Find a primer that corrects any skin issues you may have. This includes dryness, peeling, rashes, and breakouts. Many primers act as a color corrector, or a pore smoother, or a radiance booster! Find one that's perfect for you.
- It protects your precious skin from the elements, which clog pores and cause blemishes as well as corrects any other issues you may be having with your skin.
- It creates a smooth surface for flawless foundation application.
- DO use a foundation that's light enough to let the skin breathe. Heavy foundation clogs pores and results in more skin problems in the long run. PRO TIP: Be on the look our for Beauty For Real's MVP formula launching soon.
So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, my tips & tricks! I hope this has been a helpful guide for those of you who want a flawless complexion. Comment below some tips & tricks you guys have for me! I love to learn new things. Until next time!
Lyss @ BFR